Saturday 19 November 2011

I Said 'Remember This Moment'

From Song: 'Long Live' by Taylor Swift


Ever since I chose nursing as my career, I have been dreaming about the kind of nurse I would like to be. I want to be caring and gentle. I want to be the nurse that patients look forward to seeing. The kind of nurse who makes the time to care for the patient on an emotional level as well as a medical one. Now that I am working in the hospital, I see how difficult it is to be all of these things, and it just makes me even more determined to be this kind of nurse. The more difficult it is, the more I try to be patient and kind. I only have to look at the people suffering around me to see that I have it pretty easy. And that's all the encouragement I need to keep going. Maybe one day I will be that kind of nurse, and until then I will never stop trying. 

So... Why have I posted a photo of a box of chocolates? I have been working as a nurse for 2 weeks, and yesterday I was given this as a gift from a patient. My very first gift as a nurse. I was absolutely mortified and ecstatic at the same time! Something so small, but it has made me so happy. :) It's not the chocolates that have made me feel this way of course, but the sentiments behind them. If I never receive another gift, it won't matter, because I will never forget the elderly gentleman who gave me a box of Roses after 2 weeks of nursing. :) And of course, the chocolates were very much appreciated yesterday evening after I finished my 8 hour shift at the hospital, walked back to my apartment and then to the train station in the rain, and then the train broke down an hour into the journey. At that point, chocolate was very welcome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy :)