Wednesday, 3 October 2012
Wanna peek into my diary again? It won't be as sweet as last time, I'm sorry. Background: I spent the summer in Toronto working, and did all of my sight-seeing alone. So I had a lot of time to people watch (or eavesdrop, your call). And I heard some pretty funny/ interesting things along the way which I jotted down into my journal. Here are my favourites :)
1. Little boy: "Pa, you smell like a traffic light"
2. One teen guy to another: "I've figured it out though. You can wear like jeans and a t-shirt, and if you wear nice shoes people will be like 'Oh, you look nice!' It's crazy!"
3. One teen girl going up an escalator, the other going down. First girl shouts "Hey, where did you get your skirt? I love it!" Second girl: "Oh! Garage!" and walks away beaming :)
4. Kid looking in a big fish tank: "Are these fish real, or are they dead?"
5. Son: "Daddy, how did he get in here?"
Dad: "It's so hot that even the birds are taking the subway."
6. One rich teen girl to another: "What is grit?" "Oh, it's like bad risotto."
7. Mom to son: "I love you too, kiddo. I love you all the way to Africa and through all the safaris and into another universe."
8. Teen girl: "But I honestly think that I'm a really interesting person and that everyone wants to come talk to me."
9. One woman to another: "So wait, you don't have decent bookstores but you have spas where fish eat your feet??"
10. 2 kids, boy and girl about 12, talking about pigeons. "In pigeon world, I think he's daaaaamn!"...."No, I think he's probably oh heellllll no!"
11. Guy, early 20s: "Yeah I shaved my back and glued it to my face."
Well there you have it, a glimpse into the minds of strangers. Some made me laugh so hard, others made me smile. Also, just as a sort of disclaimer- none of the people in the photos are connected to these quotes.
All for now :)
Sunday, 30 September 2012
Have you ever walked into a place you've never been before, yet you're overwhelmed by the comforting feeling of being home? Every detail of your new surroundings plays with a piece of your heart. It almost feels like someone crawled inside your mind, took careful notes and then made the perfect escape just for you. I found my little part of heaven today when a friend brought me here...
I smiled and smiled and tripped over my feet as my friends and a bemused waiter assisted me to a cosy spot upstairs. I gawked at every detail open mouthed. Comic book table cloths, lady bug teaspoons, owl shaped clocks. Couches that swallow you whole when you want to sleep and sofas that promise to hold and support you while you study. Books about perfume and Egyptian art, vinatge maps and posters of Audrey Hepburn, my lovely friend. Every little thing in the cluttered cafe was precious to me.
Then of course, I opened the menu and my jaw dropped once more as I read the lists of fancy teas and cosy coffees. I settled on good old hot chocolate, and was not disappointed. However, a huge wave of sadness hit me as we were leaving and it occurred to me that I may not be back for a very long time, as it is located approximately 3 hours and 46 minutes from my home. Sigh. But if you are ever in Dublin city, then I would highly recommend you search for 'Foam', the most wonderful cafe I have found in my 18 years. Drink a hot chocolate and think of me :)
Saturday, 29 September 2012
i want to tell you that...
i have lost my words
i no longer know what to blog about, and i hate that
i used to have a million ideas for blogging in my head, but now... nada
i love creativity, i thrive on it. i have this blog, i have my YouTube, my music, my poetry, i like to act, i like to make pretty things, and i like to share my ideas with you all
but i think i have been trying to be creative in too many ways, as well as keeping up with university and... life.
and it's my blog that has been neglected the most
i put so much work into it for months and months, and now i have left it all alone
why am i posting this nonsense? i hate posts like this
i'm posting it to show my embarrassment, and to embarrass myself further
hopefully this will give me the push i need to get back on track here, because i miss it a lot
i miss you guys, i miss your sweet comments and i miss reading your blogs too
i hope to come back, i hope to make time
for now, i will leave you with this video to show you i have not left the internet world entirely, and if you would like to join me over on YouTube, i would really love that :)
Tuesday, 14 August 2012
I have just spent the most wonderful summer of my life taking care of 3 little boys in Canada. I've explored Toronto, I've been to Niagara Falls. I've had an awful lot of adventures, and it has changed me forever. But I must admit... When I'm old and grey, my fondest memories of my summer as an au pair in Toronto will be of sitting on the porch in the sun licking melted popsicle off little fingers and laughing and telling stories about frogs and balloons and Thomas the Tank Engine.
Sunscreen & Popsicles Playlist
Smile Bright- Letters & Lights
Rollerblades- Eliza Doolittle
When I Grow Up- The Beach Boys
One Thing- One Direction
Three Little Birds- Bob Marley
When I'm Gone- A Rocket To The Moon
Gold Rush- Ed Sheeran
Does Your Mother Know- Abba
Follow Me- Uncle Kracker
Brighter Than The Sun- Colbie Caillat
Never Grow Up- Taylor Swift